Recycling command closes the current error log file and cycles the error log extension numbers just like a server restart. The new error log contains version and copyright information and a line indicating that the new log has been created.
Recycle SQLFT.LOG : (Sql server full text search)
• Naming convention for FT log is as SQLFT
• When an error occurs during a crawl, the Full-Text Search crawl logging facility creates and maintains a crawl log, which is a plain text file. Each crawl log corresponds to a particular full-text catalog
• By default these are located in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\LOG folder
• The 2 at the end of the file name indicates that there are two crawl log files for this database/catalog pair
Syntax: no syntax
Before SQL 2008 – restart the indexer
SQL 2008 onwards– we cant re-cycle to full text log without restarting SQL server
Recycle FDLAUNCHERRORLOG : (SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Service Error Log)
• For those its new term ; FDLAUNCHERSyntax:RORLOG is a SQL Full-text Filter Daemon Service Error Log
• The FDLAUNCHERRORLOG files are for errors that occur in the SQL Server Full Text Filter Daemon launcher service.
• This is a separate service used to load filters for full text search
• Log file (FDLAUNCHERRORLOG) will be available in same location as sql server errorlog
Syntax: No Syntax
The only way available to recycle log is restart FDLauncher service
sp_configure ‘default trace’ : Recycle SQL Server Default trace
• By default SQL Server keeps the last 5 trace files in the log directory
• We can read these files by this way.
• You can also get trace file details in reports in sql server
sp_configure 'show advanced options' , 1
RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE
EXEC sp_configure 'default trace', 0 RECONFIGURE
EXEC sp_configure 'default trace', 1 RECONFIGURE
• SQL Server can maintain from 6 - 99 Error Logs ; default is 6. The currently used SQL Server Error Log will be named errorlog.1
• Every time SQL Server is started, the current error log is renamed to errorlog.1; errorlog.1 becomes errorlog.2, errorlog.2 becomes errorlog.3, and so on.
• sp_cycle_errorlog enables you to cycle the error log files without stopping and starting the server.
sp_cycle_agent_errorlog : Recycle SQL Agent Error log
• SQL Server Agent can maintain up to nine SQL Server Agent Error Logs. The currently used SQL Server Agent Error Log will be named SQLAGENT.OUT
• There is no way you can increase this number
• By default, the SQL Server Agent Error log is located in "Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.n\MSSQL\LOG\SQLAGENT.OUT".