A file activation error occurred. The physical file name may be incorrect.


ERROR "
Msg 5105, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
A file activation error occurred. The physical file name '  X:\filepath\mydb_Log.ldf' may be incorrect. Diagnose and correct additional errors, and retry the operation.
Msg 3156, Level 16, State 3, Line 1"
Oh very basic error in case you also faced that. Please understand below


1. This is not a permission issue at all
2. This file is in use doesn't create this error.
3. The only issue is sql server is not able to read this file as either this path doesn't exists or file doesn't exists.
I test the cases and In my cases I didn't put single quotes according , my file location was wrong, or my file doesn't exists

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. if you feel post have some error , please come up with correction instead writing bad

      Delete
  2. I found that the file path was wrong for me when I was getting this error. I made the mistake of no \ after the drive designation. Good article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this with an existing database after moving to a new version of SQL. Detaching and then Attaching the database file fixed it for me.

    ReplyDelete